I’ve updated to iPhone OS 3.0 build 7a341, which is said to be Final/Gold Master and these are my initial impressions in short form.
- Performed full backup and sync in iTunes 8.2 before restoring 3.0 new firmware
- Update process is very smooth and doesn’t take too long
- Some first-party icons have been refreshed. Messages, iPod, Phone now have a slight diagonal stripe pattern in the background.
- New Voice Memos App
- Search is the left of the Home screen as expected
- Works well, launching apps as necessary
- Once in Spotlight, ways to exit out is swipe back or press home key
- OMG COPY PASTE!!!!!
- Works exactly as demo’d. I can die in peace now
- Spy glass to set cursor appears to be larger now. A welcome change
- Horizontal keyboards everywhere… well, almost. Third party apps (i.e. Facebook) haven’t implemented it
- Recents lists now shows which number was called (i.e. mobile, work) or location (i.e. IL, USA)
- Additionally, outbound calls have a small icon to distinguish them from inbound
- Viewing recent call details shows more information including timestamp and length
- Number Keypad looks updated, though I can’t specifically detail what changed
- Visual Voicemail shows which number (i.e. work, mobile)
- App requires the library be “updated”. Didn’t take very long
- Nothing new here except search at the top of the index, as with many apps
- Vertical keyboard keys looks slightly smaller to accommodate more space between them
- Rotating to landscape keyboard works well. Very nice to have bigger keys!
- No MMS on AT&T, as expected
- Icon to view Camera Roll is initially blank
- After taking a picture, it will always show the last picture taken
- Camera seems more choppy than before
- “General?Home?Double-click the Home button for:?Search” is new
- “General?Home?Search Results” is new: to configure which items are indexed
- “Safari?AutoFill” is new. Must manually turn on to auto-fill forms and remembers logins
- Browser seems a bit more responsive, especially when accessing search or URL fields
- Typing seems quicker, less laggy
- Availability setting now present (Busy, Free, Tentative, Out of office)
- Hold Stocks app horizontal for larger stock chart
- Can scroll through new charts “around the world”. i.e. last wraps to first and vice versa
- Touch & Hold a URL to copy it
I’m still trying to pin down exactly how it works, but I noticed that when using the ESPN ScoreCenter app, I can select entire blocks of text to copy. More later.